Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Healthy Options - El Rodeo - Portsmouth, NH

Good Morning Team Captains!

I hope that you are all having a stellar week thus far.  One desire I've had with this blog is to update people of healthy alternatives available at certain restaurants while at the same time reviewing the restaurant's food

This is my first..

...Two days ago I went to El Rodeo with a friend for lunch.  My buddy spoke very highly of the food there.  Anyone who enjoys Mexican food also knows it can be harder to find healthy alternatives at a Mexican Restaurant.

My first impression at El Rodeo was that the place looked and felt like an authentic Mexican restaurant unlike most local TexMex places. 

As with most Mexican restaurants the meal began with chips and salsa.  This is where I first experienced their quality food.  Even though I eat a very clean diet I couldn't say no to a few crisp tortilla chips especially given that their homemade salsa was just how I prefer; blended without chunks, lots of cilantro, and not overly spicy.

Next up was their tableside guacamole.   Their presentation and preparation of the guacamole was nice.  The volcanic rock mortar and pestle used for preparation was also the vessel used to present the food.  I would give the overall flavor of the guacamole an 80 out of 100.  It was a quality dish but done a bit on the bland side.  In the future I'll be sure to ask for more salt, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeños during the making.  Though bland it was still a decent guacamole.

Lastly, came the lunch entree.  I was searching for items on the healthy side.  It wasn't plainly obvious what would match my dietary needs.  All the items on the vegetarian section contained dairy in everything.  Finally I came onto Pollo Yucatan.  It was to be a chicken breast marinated with roasted vegetables and citrus.  When the dish finally came out I was pleasantly surprised.  The chicken had been butterflied ensuring it to be cooked thoroughly.   This also increased the space to have marinated.  It was a nice touch.  The vegetable side on the plate was avocado with fresh Pico de gallo.  It was all very light and flavorful.  I would recommend this dish to those avoiding dairy, beef, and saturated fat.

Overall I would recommend El Rodeo for their presentation and quality.  The décor itself is a little cheap but well made up for by their food.  I will definitely be eating there again.

As always team captains…Let me know if you have any additional ideas.  Together we will learn.  Together we will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment